Have you ever wondered why your face makeup can’t last all day long? Why your foundation doesn’t look natural? Or why your eyeshadow isn’t as vibrant as it should? Look no further, I believe I have the solution for you. Because I used to be the girl who had her makeup melted off half way through my work day (thanks to my oily combo skin) then I decided to pack on more powder to control the shine (Big Big Big mistake) so at the end of the day I kind of look like a hot mess (aka cake face).
For those that who know me, you know I am persistent as heck so I will search high and low to find a solution. As I get older (with more disposable income), I start trying a lot of different products, both drug store and high end. So this is what I gathered from my research, when you have cracks and crevices on the surface of your face, your foundation will never go on smooth hence not flawless and natural. Also, oil can melt your makeup off even the higher end ones. So after many trials and errors (which equals to time and money) , I finally found out the importance of base makeup – Primer
In today’s world, there are an overwhelming amount of primers to choose from; a pore minimizing ones, a colour correcting ones, an oil controlling ones, you name it, they have it. Also, they charge you an obscene amount of money for it (at least my holy grail one does). I honestly refuse to pay that amount and didn’t want to believe the primer makes such a huge difference. But after carefully testing it for a year, I can honestly say Primer Changes my Life (at least my makeup life).
There are a lot of benefits of using primer, and here’s what I’ve learned:
- Primer can help lessen the appearance of pores, especially if you choose the ones that are meant to do that, I am sure you will be really pleased with the results.
- Primer can minimize oil because there are ingredients in the primer that decrease sweating through pores
- Primer can lessen redness and acne appearance. I always see primer as a less powerful version of a concealer. If you have minimal problems on your skin, the primer can help erase some of them.
- Primer can smooth out skin surface. This is pretty much the main function of a primer because nobody’s face is as smooth as a baby bum so having primer on allows our face to get to that velvety state therefore the face makeup adhere better.
- Primer is suitable for any skin type and colour. Usually primer is transparent and non-comedogenic (not pores clogging) so no matter what skin type and colour, you can still use the same one.
- Primer allows your foundation to stay true to colour. Basically primer creates that blank canvas so whatever you put on top, it can reflect its intended colour.
- Primer can help prevent your foundation to tint your skin. Primer is kind of like your base coat for nail, it can act as a natural shield between your skin and your foundation so your foundation can’t tint your natural skin.
- Primer can allow your makeup to last longer because it minimizes oil secretion through the pores so your makeup can last all day.
- Primer can help your makeup to look more natural. Since primer can correct some of the skin issues so you don’t have to pile as much products on. Furthermore, when your foundation stay true to colour (from #8), you don’t need to put as much product on to get to your desire coverage hence more natural looking.
My all time favourite primer currently is Dior’s Pore Minimizer Skin Refining Matte Primer . I tried a couple other ones on the market but they just can’t seem to measure up. If you ever pass by Sephora, you should ask them for some sample to try it for yourself.
I hope this post is helpful to you. If you have any other beauty related topics, please feel free to suggest it on my GlitterMommy Facebook page. Also, please let me know what other primers I should try so I can do reviews for you guys. Thank you very much for reading and good luck!!!